Thursday, May 31, 2007

Tango at Tortoni


Tango is one of the reasons I moved to Buenos Aires. It's passionate, dramatic, melancholic, and stunningly beautiful. I went to the show at one of Buenos Aires' most famous cafes, Tortoni. I like milongas better (this is where true tango lovers show up with their shoes in a bag and dance til sunrise), but I'm always afraid someone will ask me to dance. Watching this couple put on the show for tourists from all over the world at Cafe Tortoni was not necessarily authentic, but it was moving.


A friend of mine moved here from the States a few years ago after a month-long visit to study tango. She was working on her dissertation where she uses tango as a metaphor for the soul. Her blog The Tango Jungle has all sorts of insider information for tango wannabes. She hasn't written in a while, but browse through her earlier posts. You'll learn all the do's and dont's of milonga etiquette.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am reading this article second time today, you have to be more careful with content leakers. If I will fount it again I will send you a link

Anonymous said...

It is useful to try everything in practice anyway and I like that here it's always possible to find something new. :)