Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes

Back in November, I bought an apartment with some friends here. It was a big move for me since I've pretty much lived from paycheck to paycheck my entire adult life. I was worried that if I didn't invest my savings, I'd spend everything, but I didn't have enough to buy my own place. Then I lost both of my jobs.

Panic!

So, I went on vacation, took a lot of pictures, and started writing some fiction.



I was writing this blog(albeit infrequently) and the one for our loft, editing the thousands of photos I'd taken in California, and meeting weekly with a writing group. I felt like I was spending all my time at the computer. Not much of a life. So, I deleted my Facebook account and stopped writing Inspirosity (unable to actually give up on this blog, just holding off on it for a while). With no Facebook to distract me, I've finished two stories and learned all sorts of neat Photoshop tricks.



Our loft is constantly booked and a few neighbors are asking us to manage renting out their lofts. We're considering expanding our site to add personalized tours and other services for tourists. So, now I'm learning about website design and management.

When I lost my jobs, people kept asking me if I was doing alright and I'd answer, "yea, I know it will all work out. It always does." But I wasn't sure I believed myself. Lo and behold, it is all working out.

The best part is that without a job, I've been able to hang out with the people that rent our loft and I've joined a really cool social networking site for travelers and hosted a few people in my apartment. Meeting other people who love to travel, to experience new places, to learn new things, is what makes life so great.

Since I'm inspired again, guess I'm back.

5 comments:

AlexTangoFuego said...

Cool...glad things are happenin'...

Anonymous said...

Forgot to tell you that I'm impressed by your Loft description pages and photos--very well done!

Inspirosity said...

Thanks Alex... things are indeed happening!

And thanks to you too, Mandy. So glad you like the site. It helps that the colors of the loft are so vibrant.

tangobaby said...

Ah, so you're the San Telmo Loft! (It takes me a while to catch on to things sometimes).

Congratulations on your vacation rental business. My bf has been in it for years (Paris, Spain, St. Barts) and I know first-hand what a challenge it can be at times. But your site is lovely and I'm sure you'll always be booked.

Isn't it nice to see how things work out, even when they start out to be somewhat scary?

Inspirosity said...

Yep tangobaby...that's me over there at San Telmo Loft. We've been posting on Craislist only and booked about 90% of the time. I don't think we could have done this so well without the Internet. Anyway, thanks for commenting and glad you like the site.