Sunday, April 15, 2007

Music--Live Music


I went to see Diego el Cigala at the Gran Rex a few weeks ago. Bebo y Cigala's Lagrimas Negras is one of my favorite CDs. The combination of gypsy flamenco with Cuban rhythms seems so well suited.

Listening to music that moves me in my home (where I can dance around and drink a glass of wine) is one of my favorite pastimes. A live concert of that same music can sometimes be a real letdown. Not this one.

Diego el Cigala's passion was totally contagious and even though I couldn't get up and dance, we were in a theater after all, the vibrations of the music hit deep. I could feel the rhythms, not just hear them. When he began singing, the energy was intense.

He came back for at least 4 encores, ending the show with an improvisation that took me back to Sevilla. I once saw a group of teenagers along the Guadalquivir dancing, singing and playing the cajon as they passed around a bottle of booze. How I longed to be a Spanish teenager growing up in Andalusia.

No comments: